Broadway And Winchcombe Cycle Loop
Starting in the small market town of Broadway at the northern edge of the Costswold Hills, this route provides some stunning scenery and plenty of places of interest to stop at including National Trust properties and a vintage steam railway. At only 26 miles with 1700ft of climbing this isn’t a route for the faint hearted. However the rewards will certainly justify the effort. If you’re doing this in the summer you’ll have all day to stop and explore if you want.
From the start point at the long stay car park on Childswickham Road the route turns on to Cheltenham Road and Station Road before turning in to Church St and the long climb up Snowshill Road. After reaching the peak of the climb there’s the opportunity for a well earned rest as Snowshill Manor. From Snowshill the route turns south and with just one or two minor climbs skirts Taddington and Lower Coscombe. For the next five miles it’s time rest the legs as the route cruises downhill through Ford, Temple Guiting, and Barton before eventually reaching Guiting Power.
From Guiting Power the route then starts to rise again reaching the halfway point in Hawling. From Hawling it’s a slow gentle climb for about three miles before a glorious decent in to Winhcombe. Those with heavy legs from the climbing will be pleased to know that from Winchcombe it’s a very flat route back to the start at Broadway. From Winchombe the route heads in an almost straight line through back to Broadway skirting the villages of Hailes, New Town, Stanton, Laverton and Buckland.
Start Point – Broadway Long Stay Car Park in Childswickham Road
Distance – 26 miles / 41.8 km
Elevation Gain – 1700 ft / 518 m
Places Of Interest:
- National Trust Snowshill Manor – just off route at 2.5 miles.
- Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway – at the 21.6 mile point on the route.
- Stanway Viaduct – just off the route at 22.2 mile point.
- Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway – approx 0.5 miles from the start / finish point.
- National Trust cafe at Snowshill Manor – just off the route at the 2.5 mile point.
- Snowshill Arms – at the 2.7 mile point.
- The Halfway House, Kineton – at the 8.5 mile point
- The Red Lion pub – at the 12.2 mile point
- A large selection of cafes, pubs etc in Winchcombe at the 18.1 mile point
- A large assortment of cafes, pubs, etc in Broadway
Local Bicycle Shops:
There are no bike shops on the route, however there are an abundance in Cheltenham:
- Cheltenham Cycles – 61 Winchcombe Street, Cheltenham, GL52 2NE, 01242 255414
- Roylan Cycles – 2 Suffolk Parade, Cheltenham, GL50 2AB, 01242 235948
- Williams Cycles – 82 Albion Street, Cheltenham, GL52 2LP, 01242 512291
Closest Railway Station(s)
- No mainline stations however the the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire steam railway runs to Cheltenham Racecourse which is close to Cheltenham Spa mainline station – check for the availability of bicycle carriage on the steam railway.
Ride with GPS Link – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38172366
GPX file direct download – Click Here
If you liked this route please consider supporting us by buying a tea at www.buymeacoffee.com/cyclinglabs