Starting in the Essex village of Elsenham this fairly short and gentle route will take through the neighbouring villages of Thaxted, Howlett End, and Newport. There are a couple of testing hills, but in general this is a reasonably flat and easy route. Although the route is only a few miles from London Stanstead airport it remains very quiet with a surprising number of potential café stops along the way.
From the start point at Elsenham railway station car park the route runs south for a short distance before a turning East. After leaving Elsenham the route now follows the B1051 for about seven miles through the village of Broxtead and then on to Thaxted.
After passing through the centre of Thaxted the route turns northward for a few miles along the B184 before entering the small village of Howlett End. From Howlett End it’s time for a change of direction again back westward to follow Water Lane as it wiggles through the countryside for around four miles before emerging out in to Newport village.
From Newport the route again changes direction to run south along a combination of the B1383 London Road, then the North Hall Road, and Old Mead Road. With these road all sharing space with the M11, Railway, and River Cam for a few miles. And after only five more miles on the road from Newport it’s back to the start at Elsenham.
Start Point – Elsenham railway station / car park
Distance – 20 miles / 32 km
Elevation Gain – 848 ft / 258 m
Places Of Interest:
- John Webbs Windmill – just off route at 7.2 miles.
- American Air Museum – at the 11.8 mile point on the route.
- The Crown Inn Elsenham – at the 0.7 mile point.
- Ocean Delight Fish & Chips in Thaxted – at the 7.3 mile point
- The Swan Pub in Thaxted – at the 7.5 mile point
- Bonfire Box Cafe at the 11.1 mile point.
- Elder Street Cafe at the 12.0 mile point.
- Dorringtons Cafe in Newport at the 15 mile point
Local Bicycle Shops:
- R. Turner Biycles – Brick Cottages, London Rd, Newport, Saffron Walden CB11 3PR 01799 540363
Closest Railway Station(s)
- Elsenham – at the start / finish point.
- Newport – at the 15.2 mile point of the route.
Ride with GPS Link – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35255759
GPX file direct download – Click Here
If you liked this route please consider supporting us by buying a tea at www.buymeacoffee.com/cyclinglabs