Starting in the Oxfordshire town of Chipping Norton the Rollright Stones and Stow-on-the-Wold are the main features of this ride. This ride has a number of challenging hills, but the reward is definitely worth the effort. You will have the chance to visit the Ancient Rollright Stones and if time allows the National Trust property at Chastleton House.
If you are participating in The British Cycle Quest you can visit checkpoints Warwickshire 6 and Gloucestershire 3.
From Chipping Norton the route goes North through Over Norton and then on a short stretch on the A3400 before turning West and on to the Rollright Stones. The stones are a free to enter ancient monument and definitely worth stopping off at and exploring. After leaving the stones the route takes an almost straight line along the A436 in to Stow-on-the-Wold. Whilst this is an ‘A’ road it’s generally not too busy, and easily cyclable. About three miles after leaving the stones look out for right hand turning if you wish to visit Chastleton House. The road is well signposted and should be easy to spot.
After arriving in Stow and doing a small lap of the town centre where we would recommend stopping to explore and maybe even a spot of lunch. From Stow the route takes the B4450 south to Bledington and then through the village of Kingham. From here it’s a short sharp climb to Churchill and on to the start / finish point in Chipping Norton
Start Point – New Street Car Park, Chipping Norton
Distance – 22.7 miles / 36.5 km
Elevation Gain – 1405ft / 428m
Places Of Interest:
- Rollright Stones – at the 4 mile point.
- Chastleton House National Trust – approx 7 miles from the start point
- Churchill & Sarsden Heritage centre, Churchill village – approx 19.5 miles from the start
- A number of cafe’s, shops, and pubs in Chipping Norton at the start / finish point.
- The Greedy Goose pub at the 6.0 mile point.
- Numerous cafe’s and pubs in Stow-on-the-Wold 12.0 mile point.
- The Plough in Kingham at the 18.2 mile point.
- The Chequers in Churchill at the 19.8 mile point.
Local Bicycle Shops:
- Ty Cycles: Worcester Road Industrial Estate, 11, Chipping Norton OX7 5XW Tel. 01608 238150
Closest Railway Station(s)
- Kingham – at the 17.2 mile point on the route.
Ride with GPS Link – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32528796
GPX file direct download – Click Here