Starting in the Berkshire village of Mortimer this ride will take you along the border between Berkshire and Hampshire along some country lanes, ‘B’ roads and the odd minor and quiet ‘A’ road. The route skims along the edge of the Wellington Estate before passing close by to the Vyne National Trust property and the ancient Roman ruins at Silchester. There are a couple of small hills to negotiate en-route but this is offset by some good downhill stretches and the proximity to three very good cafe stops.
Shortly after leaving the start point the route takes a short downhill run and out of the village along a road known as ‘The Street’. After a couple of miles turn off right on Cross Lane and then on to Beech Hill Road. After a short climb over the A33 follow the road in to Spencers Wood and then turn right at the T-junction and follow the road through to Riseley where you cross back over the A33 at a roundabout.
From here the route now skirts around the famous Wellington Estate (home to various Dukes of Wellington since 1818) and Stratfield Saye House. The country lanes will now lead you past the entrance to Stratfield Saye House and through Fair Oak Green before popping out on the main road in Bramley opposite the bakery.
From Bramley there is now a short stretch of a couple of miles along a busier road through Bramley Corner before taking a right turn on to Silchester Road. Once on the Silchester Road it’s a straight, albeit uphill, run through Little London and the village of Silchester. From Silchester the route skirts the ancient Roman ruins of Calleva Atrebatum and then downhill along Pitfield Lane and Turks Lane and into the start point in Mortimer.
Start Point – Mortimer Fairground field car park
Distance – 21.0 miles /34.75 km
Elevation Gain – 848ft / 260m
Places Of Interest:
- Stratfield Saye House – at the 9 mile point. (Open in August only)
- National Trust, The Vyne – approx 0.75 miles from the route in Bramley .
- Calleva Atrebatum Roman ruins in Silchester – at the 18mile point.
- The Baobab Cafe 200 metres from the start / finish point.
- Wellington Farm Shop & Cafe at the 7.1 mile point.
- Bramley Village Bakery at the 12.5 mile point.
- The Calleva Arms in Silchester at the 18 mile point.
- Convenience stores in Spencers Wood & Mortimer.
Local Bicycle Shops:
- Pedal On – 60 Bishopswood Road, Tadley, Hampshire, RG26 4HD. Telephone: 0118 9821021
- Calleva Cycles – 4A Clappsgate Road, Pamber Heath, Hampshire, RG26 3EJ. Telephone: 01189 701999
Closest Railway Station(s)
- Mortimer – approx 1.2 miles from the start.
- Bramley – on the route at the 12.5 mile point.
Ride with GPS Link – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32351125
GPX file direct download – Click Here
If you liked this route please consider supporting us by buying a tea at www.buymeacoffee.com/cyclinglabs