Don’t be put off by the name of this ride. Although it starts and finishes in the Sussex village of Ditchling, famous for its towering Beacon, this ride stays well away from any serious climbing. This route instead winds its way from Ditchling northeast around some local villages and lanes before returning to the start. Along the route will have the chance to visit a nature reserve, and some local common land. If you time your visit right you could even go racing at Plumpton racecourse
From the start in the centre of Ditchling village take the B2116 eastward for around 3/4 mile. Next take Spatham Lane northward to Ditchling Common village and then turn briefly east and then north again following the road to Wivelsfield Green.
From Wivelsfield Green take North Common Road for approximately 1.4 miles before turning south along Plumpton Road. At the end of Plumpton Road take South Road and Novington Lane before turning west on Chapel Lane toward East Chiltington.
From East Chiltington continue through to Streat and then turn south on Streat Lane to the B2116 and through Westmeston and back in to Ditchling Village
Start Point – Ditchling Village Centre
Distance – 15.0 miles /24 km
Elevation Gain – 768ft / 234m
Places Of Interest:
- Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft – at the start / stop point.
- Stoneywish Nature Reserve – approx 1 mile from the start point
- Ditchling Common – at the 2 mile point point.
- Plumpton Racecourse – at the 10.5 mile point.
- Blackberry Wood – at the 11.5 mile point.
- Velusso Cafe at the start / finish point.
- The Cock Inn at the 4.8 mile point.
- The Plough Inn at the 7.75 mile point.
- The Jolly Sportsman at the 10 mile point.
Local Bicycle Shops:
- Hassock Community Cycle Hire – Station Approach East, Hassocks BN6 8HN. Tel – 07521 961909
Closest Railway Station(s)
- Plumpton – approx 0.5 miles from the route at 10.5 miles.
Ride with GPS Link – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33164819
GPX file direct download – Click Here
If you liked this route please consider supporting us by buying a tea at www.buymeacoffee.com/cyclinglabs