Starting in the small Lincolnshire village of Ruskington this is a gentle and flat route suitable for all abilities. From Ruskington the route will take you to the villages of Heckington and Helpringham before returning to the start via Sleaford
If you do this ride on the last weekend of July then a visit to Heckington show is thoroughly recommended.
From the start point at Ruskington railway station car park the route loops around the back of the station before a taking a number of small back roads and lanes to Ewerby. From Ewerby its a short run in to Ewerby Thorpe and then south through Howell.
After leaving Howell the route continues south to cross the A17 just before Heckington. Once over the A17 the route follows the main road through the centre of Heckington. If you have time then a stop off at Heckington windmill is interesting. From Heckington it’s south along quiet lanes through Great Hale, Little Hale, and Helpringham, then west to Scredington.
Once through Scredington the route turns back north right through the centre of the small town of Sleaford. The centre of Sleaford can get busy at times so some caution may be needed. After Sleaford it’s a short run north through Leasingham Moor and back in to the start point at Ruskington.
Start Point – Ruskington railway station / car park
Distance – 21.1 miles / 34 km
Elevation Gain – 453 ft / 138 m
Places Of Interest:
- Heckington Windmill -on the route at 7.7 miles.
- Sleaford Castle – just off route at 17.2 miles point.
- National centre for craft and design, Sleaford – just off route at 17.2 miles point.
- Sunnys Fish & Chips in Heckington at the 6.9 mile point.
- Sylvs coffee and cake in Heckington just of the route at the 7.5 mile point.
- The Brass Windmill in Helpringham – at the 9.7 mile point.
- Numerous pubs and shops in Sleaford at the 17 mile point.
- Numerous pubs and shops in Ruskington at the start / finish.
Local Bicycle Shops:
- Riverside Cycles – 5 N Gate, Sleaford NG34 7BH, Tel: 01529 414511 www.riversidecycles.co.uk
Closest Railway Station(s)
- Ruskington – at the start / finish point.
- Heckington – 7.7 mile point of the route.
- Sleaford – Just off the route at the 16.9 mile point of the route.
Ride with GPS Link – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35180484
GPX file direct download – Click Here
If you liked this route please consider supporting us by buying a tea at www.buymeacoffee.com/cyclinglabs